The Syrian photographer Marwan al-Musalmani (1935 – 2013) bequeathed an extensive body of work on Syrian cultural heritage. As head of photography department in the Directorate General of Antiquities and Museums (DGAM) in Damascus from 1958 – 1995, he photographed the major excavation sites, such as Ugarit, Ebla, Mari and Palmyra.
His photographs were exhibited around the world during the 1980s and 1990s and have contributed in changing the picture of Syria’s historical significance.
He founded the Syrian Photographic Society in Damascus, and in 1980 was awarded an honorary doctorate in Tübingen on the occasion of his exhibition on cylinder seals in Syria.
In 1981, the exhibition “Islamic Architecture in the Syrian Arab Republic” in the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin – Islamisches Museum (GDR) consisted of his photographs.
Photo collection (selection)