A catalogue of the monuments of Aleppo
Based on the archival work of the Syrian Heritage Archive Project, the “Crossroads Aleppo” team is creating a comprehensive, multidisciplinary catalogue of important architectural monuments of the World Heritage Site ’Old City of Aleppo’, presented in both English and Arabic.
The general aim of the project is to actively raise awareness of the material and immaterial cultural heritage of Aleppo and Syria among the public and the media. Currently, this work is intended to promote and foster a discussion between the various actors in the rebuilding process, such as Aleppo residents, interest groups and experts, regarding the value and future of these monuments.
The online catalogue “Crossroads Aleppo: Our City, shared Heritage, our Memory – A project to document the World Heritage Site of Aleppo“ is based, for each building, on
- the existing image archive of the Syrian Heritage Archive Project
- the damage assessment of the subproject Built Heritage Documentation
- the maps and plan drawings of architects
- the art and architectural-historical presentation by art historians from Aleppo and beyond
- the presentation of the social and urban historical background by historians
- the personal memories and statements by citizens of Aleppo in the form of texts and photos
The has been funded since 2017 by the Gerda Henkel Foundation; it is published on its scientific platform L.I.S.A.